Examples of opportunity in a Sentence
- A phony war because its stated objective—eradicating terrorism—is impossible and serves to mask unstated, alarmingly open-ended goals, a kind of fishing expedition that provides an opportunity for America to display its intimidating arsenal … —John Edgar Wideman, Harper's, March 2002
- Nowadays my only opportunity for an old-fashioned, self-indulgent sulk comes when I'm traveling. —Ian Frazier, Atlantic, March 2001
- I'm handing you an opportunity in the heart of the city where the whole world's heading: journalists, corporate leeches, Japanese tourists, Greco-Roman wrestlers. —Gary Smith, Illustrated, 11 Sept. 2000
- More than 90 percent of female senior managers believe that men's and women's opportunities remain unequal … —Katha Pollitt, Atlantic, November 1997
You'll have an opportunity to ask questions after the presentation.
When the opportunity came for her to prove that she could do the job, she was ready.
I had the rare opportunity of speaking to the president.
Studying abroad provides a great opportunity to learn a foreign language.
There are fewer job opportunities this year for graduates.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped me with this book.
He was given every opportunity to prove that he was trustworthy.
There is plenty of opportunity for advancement within the company.
Recent Examples of opportunity from the Web
Retzlaff hadn’t received any evidence or been given an opportunity to respond, said his lawyer, Franz Enderle of law firm Bub Gauweiler & Partner.
The loose timeline also gives Uber's incoming leader an opportunity to resolve many of the controversies facing the company.
Those with special event tickets will get the opportunity to participate in a pregame ceremony before the 7:10 p.m. game at Marlins Park, 501 Marlins Way, Miami.
Except for the most incorrigible inmates, all prisoners had the opportunity to attend one October Sunday show each year, and prison administrators even developed a protocol to bus them to Huntsville from the far corners of the Texas prison system.
For all of his eagerness to get the federal disaster response right, though, Trump missed clear opportunities to strike a sympathetic note for multitudes who are suffering.
Instead of always focusing on the end results, recognize that your life is always unfolding, so new lessons and opportunities are always occurring.
Trump can and should free America from this execrable deal at the earliest opportunity.
There's a good chance Albrecht simultaneously continues his pickup career while chasing a coaching opportunity.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'opportunity.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of opportunity
OPPORTUNITY Defined for English Language Learners
OPPORTUNITY Defined for Kids
Definition of opportunity for Students
- He practices guitar at every opportunity.
- “… learning secretarial skills is an exciting opportunity for me …”
- —Lemony Snicket, The Austere Academy
Learn More about opportunity
See words that rhyme with opportunity Thesaurus: All synonyms and antonyms for opportunity Spanish Central: Translation of opportunity Nglish: Translation of opportunity for Spanish speakers Britannica English: Translation of opportunity for Arabic speakers Britannica.com: Encyclopedia article about opportunity
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up opportunity? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).