on the understanding thatidiom
Definition of on the understanding that
—used to say that something is done, accepted, etc., because one has been told that something else will happen or is true She agreed to do the work on the understanding that she would be paid now.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game