on the grounds thatidiom
Definition of on the grounds that
: for the reason that : because Many critics have objected to the proposal on the grounds that it would be too costly.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game