oc·to·foil | \ ˈäktəˌfȯil\
Definition of octofoil
(Entry 1 of 2)
: having eight leaves a temple column of octofoil plan
Definition of octofoil (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : an octofoil figure the chancel … window has an octofoil above three cusped lights— Nikolaus Pevsner
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game