non·​vot·​ing ˌnän-ˈvō-tiŋ How to pronounce nonvoting (audio)
: not voting: such as
: not exercising the right to vote
the nonvoting element in the population
: not entitled to vote
nonvoting members
: not entitling the holder to vote
nonvoting preferred stock

Examples of nonvoting in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web Aside from the constitutional oddity of D.C., nonvoting delegates come from the periphery of the American empire of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Matt Ford, The New Republic, 3 Feb. 2023 Four students were seated Monday as nonvoting members of the Lockport High School District 205 Board and its two committees, and immediately offered input about renovating the Central Campus. Alexandra Kukulka, Chicago Tribune, 22 Aug. 2023 Often overlooked are the House’s six nonvoting delegates, who can’t cast final votes on legislation but can introduce bills and join committees. Matt Ford, The New Republic, 3 Feb. 2023 The Holdfast Collective controls 98% of the company, all of Patagonia’s nonvoting stock, while the Patagonia Purpose Trust took over the other 2% of the company, which makes up all of Patagonia’s voting stock. Time, 15 Sep. 2022 Of the 10 House Republicans who co-sponsored the bill last year, three have since left Congress and one is a nonvoting delegate. Grace Segers, The New Republic, 27 July 2023 Led by Comer, a Republican who has clashed with D.C. Council members and pushed through legislation seeking to block local D.C. bills, the RFK legislation is co-sponsored by Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D), the District’s nonvoting representative in Congress. Sam Fortier, Washington Post, 27 July 2023 Krekorian could appoint a nonvoting caretaker to fill the seat while Price’s battles the charges, but that would leave his district without a voting representative. Julia Wick, Los Angeles Times, 24 June 2023 The policy board consists of five players — including Rory McIlroy and Patrick Cantlay — plus five independent directors and a nonvoting representative from the PGA of America. Rick Maese,, 9 July 2023 See More

These examples are programmatically compiled from various online sources to illustrate current usage of the word 'nonvoting.' Any opinions expressed in the examples do not represent those of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback about these examples.

Word History

First Known Use

1846, in the meaning defined at sense 1

Time Traveler
The first known use of nonvoting was in 1846

Dictionary Entries Near nonvoting

Cite this Entry

“Nonvoting.” Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, Accessed 23 Sep. 2023.

Last Updated: - Updated example sentences
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!