Definition of microbead
: a tiny sphere of plastic (such as polyethylene or polypropylene)
Note: Microbeads are used especially as exfoliants in facial scrubs and body washes and to add texture to other personal care products (such as toothpastes and lip balms).The microscopic plastic microbeads found in many popular soaps and cleansers pose a real threat to both water and soil. These microbeads are not biodegradable. They are so tiny that they are able to pass right through the filters used to treat our wastewater.— Mariyana Spyropoulos, The Chicago Daily Herald, 23 June 2014
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game