look out forphrasal verb
looked out for; looking out for; looks out for
Definition of look out for
1 : to be aware of and try to avoid (something dangerous or unwanted) In buying a home, there are many potential problems (that) you should look out for. Look out for that pothole!
2 : to take care of or protect (someone or something) I can look out for myself. She is supposed to be looking out for our interests.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game