: a story coming down from the past;
: one popularly regarded as historical although not verifiable
- the legend of a lost continent
: a body of such stories
- a place in the legend of the frontier
: a popular myth of recent origin
- the legend of the Loch Ness monster
: a person or thing that inspires legends
: the subject of a legend
- its violence was legend even in its own time
- —William Broyles Jr.
: an inscription or title on an object (such as a coin)
- The quarter bore the legend "In God We Trust".
: caption 2b
- The legend identifies the various parts of the illustrated anatomy.
: an explanatory list of the symbols on a map or chart