:a story coming down from the past;
:one popularly regarded as historical although not verifiable
- the legend of a lost continent
:a body of such stories
- a place in the legend of the frontier
:a popular myth of recent origin
- the legend of the Loch Ness monster
:a person or thing that inspires legends
:the subject of a legend
- its violence was legend even in its own time
- —William Broyles Jr.
:an inscription or title on an object (such as a coin)
- The quarter bore the legend "In God We Trust".
- The legend identifies the various parts of the illustrated anatomy.
:an explanatory list of the symbols on a map or chart