into a cocked hatidiom
Definition of into a cocked hat
1 US : into a state of confusion, ruin, etc. The discovery has knocked/thrown all our old assumptions into a cocked hat.
2 British —used to say that one person or thing is much better than another The old design was good, but this new one knocks/beats it into a cocked hat.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?