Examples of incessant in a Sentence
- Much of the early motor development of the child depends on learning and refining such procedures, through play, imitation, trial and error, and incessant rehearsal. —Oliver Sacks, New Yorker, 24 Sept. 2007
- Magna Carta also stipulated that the shire courts should meet as royal courts under the itinerant justices more often than twice a year—a change, convenient to the landed classes and their incessant civil actions, that was not implemented because of the cost to the Crown. —Norman F. Cantor, Imagining the Law, 1997
- Whatever Stalin's ancestry, his biographers, Robert Tucker in particular, have concluded that his unfortunate childhood experiences, including incessant, murderous beatings by his drunken father, were probably what caused his pathological behaviour. —Amy Knight, Times Literary Supplement, 26 Apr. 1991
the incessant noise from an outside repair crew was a real distraction during the test
Recent Examples of incessant from the Web
MUMBAI, India -- More than 1,000 people have died in floods across south Asia this summer, and as sheets of incessant rain pummeled the vast region this week, worries grew that the death toll would rise along with the floodwaters.
The incessant rain turned streets into rivers navigable only by boat.
The incessant rain covered much of Houston in turbid, gray-green water and turned streets into rivers navigable only by boat.
The real world is full of big questions and odd surprises and the incessant drumbeats of time and money and strain.
The canyon echoed with their incessant chirping, and if the boat came too close to land, the shoreline would shift inland as crickets scampered away from us.
In the first months of the Trump administration, Mike Pence appears to have performed a miraculous balancing act: pledging loyalty to his boss while gliding away from incessant scandal and turbulence, hair unruffled, a confident smile on his face.
Despite incessant rhetorical attacks and efforts at sabotage, Obamacare has taken hold in many states, including Maryland.
But it is enveloped in ambient city noise ranging from the sound of cars sloshing through rain to the incessant and insistent clanging of a Milwaukee River drawbridge.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'incessant.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsceaseless, continual, continued, continuing, continuous, nonstop, perpetual, running, unbroken, unceasing, uninterrupted, unremitting
Related Wordsdateless, deathless, endless, eternal, everlasting, immortal, interminable, permanent, undying, unending; changeless, constant, stable, steady, unchanging, unvarying; durable, enduring, lasting, persistent; imperishable, indestructible
Near Antonymsintermittent, periodic, periodical, recurrent, recurring; alternate, alternating, cyclic (or cyclical), rhythmic (or rhythmical), seasonal, serial; erratic, fitful, irregular, occasional, spasmodic, sporadic, spotty, unsteady
Synonym Discussion of incessant
- continual showers the whole weekend
- football's oldest continuous rivalry
- lived in constant pain
- annoyed by the incessant quarreling
- a land of perpetual snowfall
- a perennial source of controversy
INCESSANT Defined for English Language Learners
INCESSANT Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up incessant? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).