Examples of incessant in a Sentence
- Much of the early motor development of the child depends on learning and refining such procedures, through play, imitation, trial and error, and incessant rehearsal. —Oliver Sacks, New Yorker, 24 Sept. 2007
- Magna Carta also stipulated that the shire courts should meet as royal courts under the itinerant justices more often than twice a year—a change, convenient to the landed classes and their incessant civil actions, that was not implemented because of the cost to the Crown. —Norman F. Cantor, Imagining the Law, 1997
- Whatever Stalin's ancestry, his biographers, Robert Tucker in particular, have concluded that his unfortunate childhood experiences, including incessant, murderous beatings by his drunken father, were probably what caused his pathological behaviour. —Amy Knight, Times Literary Supplement, 26 Apr. 1991
the incessant noise from an outside repair crew was a real distraction during the test
Recent Examples of incessant from the Web
In Game 7, the Astros had to beat the team with the majors’ best overall record and best home record at its own ballpark, in front of 54,124 fans stoked by incessant exhortations to make noise through the P.A. system.
Analyst questions about a new acquisition had become an incessant focus of earnings conference calls in recent years.
His incessant, anxious licking had created lesions.
Manning is, at times, difficult to hear over the incessant ticktocks and the chiming and clanging on the hour and half-hour.
Away from the incessant prattle of social media and the knee-jerk demands for harsh immediate action, a variety of perspectives was considered.
The incessant rain is as dour as Harrison Ford’s facial expressions.
Eventually, though, Eva was driven out of town by Waldorf's incessant meddling and manipulation.
Dive bars are supposed to be refuges from life's incessant competitiveness.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'incessant.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymsceaseless, continual, continued, continuing, continuous, nonstop, perpetual, running, unbroken, unceasing, uninterrupted, unremitting
Related Wordsdateless, deathless, endless, eternal, everlasting, immortal, interminable, permanent, undying, unending; changeless, constant, stable, steady, unchanging, unvarying; durable, enduring, lasting, persistent; imperishable, indestructible
Near Antonymsintermittent, periodic, periodical, recurrent, recurring; alternate, alternating, cyclic (or cyclical), rhythmic (or rhythmical), seasonal, serial; erratic, fitful, irregular, occasional, spasmodic, sporadic, spotty, unsteady
Synonym Discussion of incessant
- continual showers the whole weekend
- football's oldest continuous rivalry
- lived in constant pain
- annoyed by the incessant quarreling
- a land of perpetual snowfall
- a perennial source of controversy
INCESSANT Defined for English Language Learners
INCESSANT Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up incessant? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).