Definition of in tune
1 : in a state in which the correct musical sound is played or sung adjusted the guitar until it was in tune
2 : in a state in which people agree with or understand one another The president and his followers were clearly in tune. —usually + with The new supervisor is not in tune with the needs of the staff.
3 : in a state in which one thing agrees with or matches another —usually + with His formal clothing was in tune with the occasion.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game