have (someone or something) in mindidiom
Definition of have (someone or something) in mind
: to be thinking of (someone or something): such as
1 : to be thinking of choosing (someone) for a job, position, etc. They have you in mind for the job.
2 : to be thinking of doing (something) "I'd like to do something special for our anniversary." "What sort of thing did you have in mind?"
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game