have (someone or something) to thank for (something)idiom
Definition of have (someone or something) to thank for (something)
—used to say that someone or something is responsible for something The television show has young audiences to thank for its success.The city has the mayor to thank for its current fiscal problems.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?