grind to a haltidiom
Definition of grind to a halt
of a machine
: to stop working or moving forward The machinery slowly ground to a halt. —often used figuratively Without more money, work on the project will soon grind to a halt.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game