variants: or gender-normative
Definition of gender normative
: adhering to or reinforcing ideal standards of masculinity or femininity Before the uprisings in Syria women were highly educated. However, the gender positioning affected their involvement in political and professional life. Gender normative behaviours were retained and therefore there was a lack of power and agency for women in society.— Lorraine Charles and Kate Denman, The Journal of International Women's Studies, 15 Dec. 2013 In 2007, the top-selling image of fatherhood globally was an image of a man playing football with his son. You can't get any more gender-normative than that. Whereas our top-selling image of a father this year, so far, is a man with his daughter sitting and reading together.— Pam Grossman, quoted in Adweek, 11 June 2015
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?