Definition of gender normative
- Before the uprisings in Syria women were highly educated. However, the gender positioning affected their involvement in political and professional life. Gender normative behaviours were retained and therefore there was a lack of power and agency for women in society.
- —Lorraine Charles and Kate Denman, The Journal of International Women's Studies, 15 Dec. 2013
- In 2007, the top-selling image of fatherhood globally was an image of a man playing football with his son. You can't get any more gender-normative than that. Whereas our top-selling image of a father this year, so far, is a man with his daughter sitting and reading together.
- —Pam Grossman, quoted in Adweek, 11 June 2015
- None of us has grown up in a genderless culture. In fact, we have grown up in one replete with gender stereotyping and demands for gender normativity, with all the biases that go with that.
- —Diane Ehrensaft, Gender Born, Gender Made, 2011