: professional or official position : occupation
- His job combines the functions of a manager and a worker.
: the action for which a person or thing is specially fitted or used or for which a thing exists : purpose
: any of a group of related actions contributing to a larger action;
: the normal and specific contribution of a bodily part to the economy of a living organism
- The function of the heart is to pump blood through the body.
: an official or formal ceremony or social gathering
- They went to several functions during their college reunion weekend.
: a mathematical correspondence that assigns exactly one element of one set to each element of the same or another set
: a variable (such as a quality, trait, or measurement) that depends on and varies with another
- height is a function of age
- illnesses that are a function of stress
: characteristic behavior of a chemical compound due to a particular reactive unit;
: functional group
: a computer subroutine;
: one that performs a calculation with variables (see 2variable 1a) provided by a program and supplies the program with a single result