fleer was our Word of the Day on 08/27/2014. Hear the podcast!
Theme music by Joshua Stamper ©2006 New Jerusalem Music/ASCAP
Origin and Etymology of fleer
First Known Use: 15th centurySee Words from the same year
Synonym Discussion of fleer
- scoffed at their concerns
- the crowd jeered at the prisoners
- hooted and gibed at the umpire
- the saucy jackanapes fleered at my credulity
- sneered at anything romantic
- flouted the conventions of polite society
Recent Examples of fleer from the Web
Fleer's plant - a long, brick building along the railroad tracks near North 10th Street in Olney - stood just blocks from my parents' rowhouse.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'fleer.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use of fleer
Learn More about fleer
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up fleer? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).