variants: or fixed point
Definition of fixed-point
: using, expressed in, or involving a notation in which the number of digits after the point separating whole numbers and fractions is fixed Fixed-point numbers are analogous to decimals: some of the bits represent the integer part, and the rest represent the fraction.— David Harris and Sarah Harris — compare floating-point
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?