Definition of faculty
- man … how infinite in faculty
- —William Shakespeare
- the faculty of hearing
- has a faculty for saying the right things
- an excellent mathematics faculty
- many faculty were present
- The state has the faculty to define treason.
She's a member of the Harvard faculty.
The school hired more faculty.
a meeting with students and faculty
She has a faculty for making friends.
The Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'faculty.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use: 14th centurySee Words from the same year
What made you want to look up faculty? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).