Definition of estranged
: having lost former closeness and affection : in a state of alienation from a previous close or familial relationship her estranged husband [=her husband with whom she no longer lives] Social workers may try to resolve conflicts between estranged siblings.— Jonathan D. Rockoff He had taken out a life insurance policy on his estranged wife just weeks before her murder …— David Fisher … it's kind of shameful to admit your idea of unwinding in front of the TV is watching somebody's entire family get murdered by their greedy, estranged uncle.— Lauren Zupkus
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game