Definition of enumeration
1 : the act or process of making or stating a list of things one after another the rebel leader's effective enumeration of popular grievances also : the list itself The restaurant creates an astonishing range of preserved products … Here's a partial enumeration from Rodgers … : anchovies; jams; pickled cherries; brandied grapes … — Thomas McNamee
2 : the act or process of counting something or a count made of something In fact, the idea of the census as a head count may be out of date; it may be more efficient and cost-effective to replace enumeration with statistical sampling.— David P. Hamilton
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game