Definition of dedicate
- money dedicated to their vacation fund
- ready to dedicate his life to public service
- dedicate a book to a friend
dedicatorplay \-ˌkā-tər\ noun
Examples of dedicate in a Sentence
The new park was dedicated today.
a young attorney who has decided to dedicate her career to helping the poor receive justice
Recent Examples of dedicate from the Web
Willie Watson at McGonigel's Mucky Duck, Feb. 15: The former Old Crow Medicine Show singer and guitarist left that successful band and has dedicated himself to old-school folk instead.
But first, many dedicated themselves to an even more urgent task — rescuing their neighbors.
The fund — one of the first in the world to dedicate itself to virtual currencies — released its returns in a letter sent to investors on Tuesday.
Refugio has dedicated its season to Henderson as well as the community, which already had a strong connection to the team.
Dan in 1994's Forrest Gump, Gary Sinise has dedicated 40 years to volunteering and advocating on behalf of U.S. veterans.
Another museum dedicated to the Opium Wars, the Sea Battle Museum, opened nearby in 1999.
Brent dedicated this year's event to the memory of Unity Partnership's co-founder Ronald Allen, who was killed by an errant bullet while driving on Chicago's West Side last December.
Dame Judi has dedicated trees to Michael, who died in 2001, as well as Ian Richardson, Robert Hardy, and Natasha Richardson, among many others.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'dedicate.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use of dedicate
Synonym Discussion of dedicate
- devoted his evenings to study
- dedicated her life to medical research
- consecrate a church to the worship of God
- battlegrounds hallowed by the blood of patriots
DEDICATE Defined for English Language Learners
DEDICATE Defined for Kids
Definition of dedicate for Students
- The land was dedicated as a nature preserve.
- She dedicated her life to finding a cure.
- “We at Flint's only soul station, WAMM, dedicate this song to Daniel, from Wilona.”
- —Christopher Paul Curtis, The Watsons
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up dedicate? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).