Definition of dedicate
- money dedicated to their vacation fund
- ready to dedicate his life to public service
- dedicate a book to a friend
dedicatorplay \-ˌkā-tər\ noun
Examples of dedicate in a Sentence
The new park was dedicated today.
a young attorney who has decided to dedicate her career to helping the poor receive justice
Recent Examples of dedicate from the Web
The first and second floors were primarily dedicated to entertaining.
There are innumerable restaurants throughout the city dedicated to the most important meal of the day.
Hammond is among the last communities to sign on to the West Lake expansion project, as other communities have questioned the need to dedicate their funds to the endeavor.
Emerson Collective is an organization dedicated to removing barriers to opportunity so people can live to their full potential.
AJC: Some people compete with chips on their shoulders, while others dedicate an effort in someone’s honor.
First and foremost, McGrail is dedicated to keeping Keller the type of community that drew him and other newcomers in the first place.
Three years later, the university dedicated a first small solar telescope in what would soon become known as Science City.
On Sept. 8, Boise State dedicated a statue of Smith in front of the Allen Noble Hall of Fame, with the former coach in attendance.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'dedicate.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
First Known Use of dedicate
Synonym Discussion of dedicate
- devoted his evenings to study
- dedicated her life to medical research
- consecrate a church to the worship of God
- battlegrounds hallowed by the blood of patriots
DEDICATE Defined for English Language Learners
DEDICATE Defined for Kids
Definition of dedicate for Students
- The land was dedicated as a nature preserve.
- She dedicated her life to finding a cure.
- “We at Flint's only soul station, WAMM, dedicate this song to Daniel, from Wilona.”
- —Christopher Paul Curtis, The Watsons
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up dedicate? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).