cy·clo·silicate | \ "+\
Definition of cyclosilicate
1 : a class of polymeric silicates sometimes considered a subclass of sorosilicates in which the silicon-oxygen tetrahedral groups are linked by sharing oxygen atoms so as to form rings containing 3, 4, or 6 silicon atoms and 9, 12, or 18 oxygen atoms respectively (as in benitoite or beryl)
— called also ring-silicate— compare inosilicate, nesosilicate, phyllosilicate, sorosilicate, tectosilicate
2 : any mineral belonging to the class of cyclosilicates
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game