Definition of crema
- What the head is to the beer lover, the foam called crema is to the espresso aficionado. … The crema is produced as the water is pushed through and past the close-packed grains of coffee, although how that happens is not fully understood.
- —Sidney Perkowitz, Universal Foam, 2000
- Our espressos were topped with a thick, luxuriant layer of crema, the tan froth of emulsified coffee oils that is an absolute prerequisite to a proper espresso.
- —Jeffrey Steingarten, Vogue, April 1997
- … crema, our southern neighbor's fabulously thick, buttery answer to sour cream.
- —Denise Taylor, Boston Globe, 5 Nov. 2008
- Thick, tart Mexican crema (a tangy, cultured cream) is normally swirled into individual soup bowls, too. If it's unavailable, sour cream is a natural stand-in.
- —Rebecca Hays, Cook's Illustrated, March/April 2005