Examples of courteous in a Sentence
- There was no doubt that his stubbornly held and trenchantly expressed views—his trenchancy always tempered, however, by his gently courteous manner—contributed significantly to his unpopularity … —Simon Winchester, The Man Who Loved China, 2008
- … she has seen generations of boys come and go, some well groomed and courteous, others rough and uppity … —Julian Barnes, New Yorker, 5 Mar. 1990
- He joined us in the Yellow Room with … his son, a thoughtful, courteous, nice doctor … —Lady Bird Johnson 27 May 1964, in A White House Diary, 1970
The clerks were helpful and courteous.
their customer service department always gives courteous responses, even to rude people
Recent Examples of courteous from the Web
Outwardly, the Senate remains overwhelmingly courteous.
Weekender occupants are more likely to be less courteous and responsible to neighbors.
Chances are, yours isn’t set up someplace super secluded, so be courteous of your neighbors and stick to indoor voices for dirty talk.
One Chicago-area youth referee said most fans and coaches are courteous and professional.
Also, be courteous of private property; not everyone is cool with bicycles locked to their fence or balcony poles.
Drew Delkins, the mayor of Windsor, describes Matthew as courteous and professional.
Led by the exceedingly cheerful and courteous Marge, the forces of reason close in on Jerry and the kidnappers in a smashing conclusion.
Despite being relatively laid-back, Mexicans are incredibly respectful and courteous.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'courteous.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of courteous
- owed the questioner a civil reply
- if you can't be pleasant, at least be polite
- clerks who were unfailingly courteous to customers
- a gallant suitor of the old school
- a chivalrous display of duty
COURTEOUS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of courteous for English Language Learners
: very polite in a way that shows respect
COURTEOUS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up courteous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).