Definition of counterturn
1 [ translation of Greek antistrophe ] : an unexpected turn or development in the action of a play especially at the climax
2 : a turn in the opposite direction amid the turns and counterturns, the strife and various trials of our complex being— William Wordsworth
Keep scrolling for more
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game