variants: or counter-institution
plural counterinstitutions or counter-institutions
Definition of counterinstitution
: an institution formed to oppose or counteract another institution … they have started creating small, democratically ordered counterinstitutions to help them alter or dismantle the "official" behemoths …— Harvey Cox
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?