variants: or counter-instance
plural counterinstances or counter-instances
Definition of counterinstance
: a case that contradicts a rule, theory, etc. : exception sense 2 But in science and philosophy, few things are more prized than a clear counter-instance to a putative law or a prospective definition.— Toni Vogel Carey
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?