:the amount or equivalent paid or charged for something :price
- The average cost of a college education has gone up dramatically.
:the outlay or expenditure (as of effort or sacrifice) made to achieve an object
- He achieved fame, but at the cost of losing several friends.
:loss or penalty incurred especially in gaining something
- the cost of lives during war
:expenses incurred in a judicial process;
:those given by the law or the court to the prevailing party against the losing party
at all costs
:regardless of the cost or consequences
- was determined to win at all costs
:for the price of production
- buys clothes at cost directly from the manufacturer