Definition of compromised
1 : made vulnerable (as to attack or misuse) by unauthorized access, revelation, or exposure compromised data/passwords/accounts a compromised computer
2 : impaired or diminished in function : weakened, damaged, or flawed a compromised immune system … cancers transplanted into immunologically compromised mice.— Douglas Daly Both of these situations would be detrimental to the already compromised cancer patient.— Don Steven Poster et al. … walking all night also meant risking hallucinations, hypothermia, and compromised judgment.— Eva Holland "Explorer owners told us they want … improved fuel economy without compromised performance."— Mark Fields … fixed an issue that made it easier for hackers to obtain users' information. Despite the app's compromised security, it is gaining popularity.— Carolyn Bossmann These are all examples of compromised integrity in everyday life in a world where "the end justifies the means" mentality appears to prevail.— Gary Martin
3 : exposed to suspicion or discredit : revealed as or suspected of being disreputable, untrustworthy, etc. a compromised reputation a compromised judge
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game