Definition of anesthetized
: having lost sensation to pain due to the effects of an anesthetic : experiencing anesthesia especially with accompanying loss of consciousness Introduced in Munich a few years ago, focused high-energy shock waves are used to fragment upper-tract calculi. The anesthetized patient is suspended in a water bath that transmits the energy pulses.— Lowell R. King also : having the senses dulled as if by an anesthetic One Christmas, after I wrote a book, I stood autographing copies of it for six hours at a chain store … and felt its peculiar dementia, low and steadily throbbing from fluorescent lights, air conditioners, and electronic systems including synthesized violins playing homogenous hymns to the anesthetized people, and knew that somewhere we had gone wrong. — Garrison Keillor
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game