Definition of compiled
1 : gathered together especially from various sources a compiled list/report the compiled statistics from all three counties … Freud was a prodigious writer. His compiled works amount to 23 volumes and cover thousands of pages of writing.— Kenneth N. Levy … stored in countless precious libraries is the compiled wisdom of all the world. — The Harlequin
2 of computer code : processed through software that translates a complete set of high-level computer instructions into machine language before executing any of them Compiled code is incomprehensible to most programmers, but there are ways to convert machine code back to a more human-friendly format …— Mathew Schwartz You will also notice more delays when going from function to function with the compiled program.— David Kruglinski
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game