come to a grinding haltidiom (1)
Definition of come to a grinding halt
(Entry 1 of 2)
of a machine
: to stop working or moving forward The machinery came to a grinding halt. —often used figuratively The project came to a grinding halt.
come to a (grinding) haltidiom (2)
Definition of come to a (grinding) halt (Entry 2 of 2)
: stop completely and quickly The project came to a (grinding) halt. The project ground to a halt.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game