come on strongidiom
Definition of come on strong
1 : to be very forceful or too forceful in talking to someone or dealing with someone She didn't like him because she felt that he came on too strong.
2 : to become stronger or more successful in a continuing contest, race, etc. The team was playing poorly in the early part of the season, but it has been coming on strong lately.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game