Definition of belong
- a dictionary belongs in every home
- a man of his ability belongs in teaching
- the book belongs to me
- they belong to their homeland
- she belongs to a country club
- nuts and bolts belong to a car
She was here for 15 years, but she never really belonged.
your shoes belong in the closet, not in the middle of the living room where people will trip on them
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'belong.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
What made you want to look up belong? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).