belong tophrasal verb
belonged to; belonging to; belongs to
Definition of belong to
1 : to be the property of (someone) : to be owned by The money belongs to him. The house belongs not just to her, but to her husband as well. His style belongs only to himself.
2 : to be a member of (a club, organization, etc.) The family belongs to a country club. Most of the company's employees belong to an HMO.
3 : to be included in (a category, group, etc.) What family does that bird belong to?
4 : to be a part of (something) the parts belonging to the clock
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game