Definition of chelicerate
- Arthropods constitute the largest phylum by far, with major subgroups of insects, chelicerates (spiders, mites, scorpions, and horseshoe crabs), and crustaceans …
- —Stephen Jay Gould, Natural History, January 1995
- the chelicerate nervous system
- chelicerate arthropods
- Together, these marine and terrestrial orders are called the chelicerate orders based on the structure of their mouthparts, in contrast to the orders to which insects and crustaceans belong.
- —Rosemary G. Gillepsie and Joseph C. Spagna, in Encylopedia of Insects, 2003