Definition of Chelicerata
: a subphylum or other division of the phylum Arthropoda comprising forms having chelicerae and lacking antennae and including the horseshoe crabs and eurypterids, spiders, scorpions, and sea spiders A fossil eurypterid, representing the Chelicerata.— Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life, 1989 — see arachnida , merostomata , pycnogonida
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game