Definition of capeweed
1 : an archil lichen (Roccella tinctoria) abundant in the Cape Verde islands
2 [Cape of Good Hope + English weed] : a low-growing yellow-flowered composite herb (Cryptostemma calendulacea) that is native to southern Africa but introduced into Australia and New Zealand where it is usually considered a troublesome weed
3 [Cape of Good Hope + English weed] : cat's-ear
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game