Definition of by oneself
1 : without any help from other people I shoveled the driveway by myself. I want you to figure it out by yourself.
2 : with no one or nothing else : alone The grandmother still lives in the house by herself. He went to the store by himself. They toured the city by themselves. The new law will help, but it can't solve the problem (all) by itself.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?