Definition of bowdlerized
: altered to remove or modify elements considered objectionable or potentially offensive In February PBS advised member stations to air a bowdlerized version of a Frontline documentary about the war in Iraq because the uncut version also had soldiers swearing.— James Poniewozik … like all unexpurgated books it is an improvement on the bowdlerized version, if only because it has more sex.— Katha Pollitt
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game