Examples of boisterous in a Sentence
- The crowd was young and boisterous, the cheeseburgers were juicy and perfectly charred, and the place was always packed. —Jonathan Black, Saveur, October 2007
- Things had apparently gotten a little too boisterous during the Northern Ohio Girls Soccer League games. And it wasn't the kids. Fed up with noisy, know-it-all parents, the league banned cheering and jeering from the sidelines for one game, which they dubbed Silent Sunday. —Kate Rounds, Ms., December 1999/January 2000
- Suzanne Massie, boisterous and voluble as we drove through her adopted neighborhood in St. Petersburg, hurtled to a sudden stop. She was laughing uproariously to see the spot, where five years earlier, her rented car had fallen apart … —Christopher Lydon, Atlantic, February 1993
A large and boisterous crowd attended the concert.
the fans at the baseball game became particularly boisterous after the home run
Recent Examples of boisterous from the Web
Protesters interrupted a Senate hearing for the disgraceful Graham-Cassidy healthcare bill Monday, producing remarkable scenes of boisterous dissent and what might be described as civic horror.
Enjoying the game with a boisterous group of friends, Sammy Hanson, 25, has only known the Bradley Center as the Bucks' home court.
Nationals Park, so recently boisterous, fell into a stunned silence.
His Astros clinched their appearance in the Fall Classic by holding home field in each of their four ALCS games at Minute Maid Park, where they were backed by the most boisterous crowds of the season.
Not many Kentucky teams of the past could have overcome a start as bad as the one his team suffered in front of a crowd as loud and boisterous as the one at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday.
The film centers on Churchill’s boisterous resistance to the invading German armies, and the disquiet that provokes within his party, which still has a substantial contingent hoping to sue for peace.
One-night-only installations will be on view during the public party the night of Nov. 10, with music from the boisterous Extra Action Marching Band and others.
But for the most part, the album’s big drum and boisterous synth sound is straightforward in its courting of radio airplay, or at least a featured slot on the summer festival circuit.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'boisterous.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of boisterous
First Known Use: 14th centurySee Words from the same year
Synonymshell-raising, knockabout, rambunctious, raucous, robustious, roisterous, rollicking, rowdy, rumbustious [chiefly British], wild and woolly
Related Wordscallithumpian, carnival, carnivalesque, larrikin [chiefly Australian], raffish, rampageous, raucous, riotous, rowdyish, ruffianly; stormy, tempestuous, turbulent, violent; headstrong, intractable, obstreperous, recalcitrant, uncontrollable, uncontrolled, undisciplined, ungovernable, uninhibited, unmanageable, unreserved, unrestrained, unruly, wild, willful (or wilful); bubbly, buoyant, effervescent, exuberant, high-spirited, impassioned, lively, sprightly, vivacious; clamorous, loudmouthed, noisy, openmouthed, rackety, strident, vociferous; howling, screaming, yelling
Near Antonymssedate, sober, solemn, somber (or sombre), staid; decorous, dignified, proper, seemly; calm, hushed, noiseless, peaceful, placid, quiet, restrained, serene, silent, soundless, tranquil; collected, composed, constrained, controlled, imperturbable, inhibited, repressed, self-controlled, unflappable, unruffled; moderate, reasonable, subdued, temperate; impassive, phlegmatic, stoic (or stoical), stolid; depressed; aloof, detached, indifferent
Synonym Discussion of boisterous
- vociferous cries of protest and outrage
- clamorous demands for prison reforms
- blatant rock music
- a blatant clamor for impeachment
- heard the strident cry of the crow
- a boisterous crowd of party goers
- the obstreperous demonstrators were arrested
BOISTEROUS Defined for English Language Learners
BOISTEROUS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up boisterous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).