Examples of boisterous in a Sentence
- The crowd was young and boisterous, the cheeseburgers were juicy and perfectly charred, and the place was always packed. —Jonathan Black, Saveur, October 2007
- Things had apparently gotten a little too boisterous during the Northern Ohio Girls Soccer League games. And it wasn't the kids. Fed up with noisy, know-it-all parents, the league banned cheering and jeering from the sidelines for one game, which they dubbed Silent Sunday. —Kate Rounds, Ms., December 1999/January 2000
- Suzanne Massie, boisterous and voluble as we drove through her adopted neighborhood in St. Petersburg, hurtled to a sudden stop. She was laughing uproariously to see the spot, where five years earlier, her rented car had fallen apart … —Christopher Lydon, Atlantic, February 1993
A large and boisterous crowd attended the concert.
the fans at the baseball game became particularly boisterous after the home run
Recent Examples of boisterous from the Web
Freshman guard LiAngelo Ball will keep his boisterous super-dad, LaVar Ball, around the program after the eldest Ball brother, Lonzo, left for the NBA.
Ann Zaniewski/Detroit Free Press Attention, fans of boisterous sports bars: Bow your heads.
The club greeted hundreds of supporters at Portland International Airport in the afternoon and were honored during halftime at the Timbers game before capping off their victory party with a boisterous rally at Providence Park Sunday night.
Further east are Fells Point, with its cobblestone streets, eclectic shops, and boisterous nightlife, and Canton, a working-class neighborhood that is becoming a lively enclave, with engaging spots like Blue Hill Tavern.
The second act moves to a cafe scene, where the group meets the rambunctious Musetta (Annia Hidalgo), who swiftly seduces O’Donnell’s Marcello while a frenetic and boisterous group dance goes on around them.
Nicole was the kid who, at boisterous extended-family functions, always wanted to hold the baby.
With Irving's return, the boos may be a bit more boisterous.
On a recent weekday afternoon, Roux, the calm cocker spaniel, and Whiskey A Go Go, the boisterous yellow lab, perched on the sofas in the front parlors.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'boisterous.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of boisterous
First Known Use: 14th centurySee Words from the same year
Synonymshell-raising, knockabout, rambunctious, raucous, robustious, roisterous, rollicking, rowdy, rumbustious [chiefly British], wild and woolly
Related Wordscallithumpian, carnival, carnivalesque, larrikin [chiefly Australian], raffish, rampageous, raucous, riotous, rowdyish, ruffianly; stormy, tempestuous, turbulent, violent; headstrong, intractable, obstreperous, recalcitrant, uncontrollable, uncontrolled, undisciplined, ungovernable, uninhibited, unmanageable, unreserved, unrestrained, unruly, wild, willful (or wilful); bubbly, buoyant, effervescent, exuberant, high-spirited, impassioned, lively, sprightly, vivacious; clamorous, loudmouthed, noisy, openmouthed, rackety, strident, vociferous; howling, screaming, yelling
Near Antonymssedate, sober, solemn, somber (or sombre), staid; decorous, dignified, proper, seemly; calm, hushed, noiseless, peaceful, placid, quiet, restrained, serene, silent, soundless, tranquil; collected, composed, constrained, controlled, imperturbable, inhibited, repressed, self-controlled, unflappable, unruffled; moderate, reasonable, subdued, temperate; impassive, phlegmatic, stoic (or stoical), stolid; depressed; aloof, detached, indifferent
Synonym Discussion of boisterous
- vociferous cries of protest and outrage
- clamorous demands for prison reforms
- blatant rock music
- a blatant clamor for impeachment
- heard the strident cry of the crow
- a boisterous crowd of party goers
- the obstreperous demonstrators were arrested
BOISTEROUS Defined for English Language Learners
BOISTEROUS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up boisterous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).