variants: or beach hopper
Definition of beach flea
: any of various amphipod crustaceans (family Talitridae) found on ocean beaches that feed on decaying organic matter, typically burrow into the sand during the day, and are capable of leaping like fleas : sand flea sense 2 You know those tiny beach fleas that are so small they're difficult to spot among the grains of sand? — The Wall Street Journal
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?