:the bottom of something considered as its foundation
:the principal component of something
- Fruit juice constitutes the basis of jelly.
:something on which something else is established or based
- stories with little basis in reality
- no legal basis for a new trial
- still some basis for hope
- selected on the basis of test scores
:an underlying condition or state of affairs
- He is on a first-name basis with his customers.
:a fixed pattern or system
- meets with us on a regular basis [=regularly]
- The department sends reports on a daily basis. [=every day]
:the basic principle
- concepts that form the basis of the country's economic policies
:a set of linearly independent vectors (see 1vector 1a) in a vector space such that any vector in the vector space can be expressed as a linear combination of them with appropriately chosen coefficients (see coefficient 1)