on a first-name basisidiom
Definition of on a first-name basis
: having a close personal relationship where each person addresses the other by their first name He was on a first-name basis with his boss. They know most of the officials on a first-name basis. —sometimes used figuratively to describe something that one is familiar with or accustomed to She was on a first-name basis with adversity.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?