as a wholeidiom
Definition of as a whole
: as a complete unit —used to make a statement that relates to all the parts of something Language as a whole is constantly evolving.The lecture was intended for the group as a whole.The company as a whole is doing well.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?