Definition of annihilate
- Bombs annihilated the city.
- The enemy troops were annihilated.
- annihilated the visitors 56–0
- a right to freedom that cannot be annihilated
- Fear can annihilate one's confidence.
- matter and antimatter annihilate each other
The enemy troops were annihilated.
He annihilated his opponent in the last election.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'annihilate.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
beat, best, clobber, conquer, crush, defeat, drub, lick, master, overbear, overcome, overmatch, prevail (over), rout, scotch, skunk, subdue, surmount, thrash, trim, triumph (over), trounce, wallop, whip, win (against);
What made you want to look up annihilate? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
an inn where caravans rest at night
Get Word of the Day daily email!