Definition of amalgamation process
: a process of extracting metals (as native gold and silver) from their ores by the addition of small quantities of mercury to the stamping or grinding unit so that the resulting amalgam is caught on mercury-coated copper plates from which it is then scraped, the precious metals in it being recovered by distilling off the mercury
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game