Definition of albescent
: white or tending toward white Size and form of the common British Swift … but distinguished from it by its blacker colouring, narrow white band above the tail, widening on each side, and by the duller albescent hue of the throat gradually diminishing much further down …— Edward Blyth, Zoologist, 1884 … an oceanfront that is like a travel agent's dream, where coco palms nod over endless stretches of brilliant albescent beach.— advertisement, Fortune, 29 June 1981
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game